The Cost of Insurance Working Group (CWIG) started with a bang back in 2016 when an RGDATA delegation of independent retailers gave a passionate presentation on why small businesses needed action to tackle rising insurance costs. It ended with a whimper on Friday when it published its 11th and final report. The insurance reform agenda has now been passed to a Cabinet Sub Committee led by the Tanaiste and packed with all the key Ministers including Finance, Justice and Public Expenditure. RGDATA has sent the Sub Committee an amended Occupiers Liability Act that rebalances the onerous Duty of Care imposed on property owners. “RGDATA has drafted the legislation. Now we are urging the Government to get moving on introducing the changes required to get the crippling costs of insurance under control,” RGDATA Director General Tara Buckley. The CWIG 11th report is available here. The Alliance for Insurance Reform reaction is here.
Shopfront Ireland is a new virtual shopfront for local shops and producers across Ireland. Click here to see the website or get involved.
Minister Damien English has asked the Retail Consultation Forum to convene to discuss the Level 5 restrictions following concerns about some large retailers continuing to sell non-essential goods despite the Level 5 lockdown. The meeting will take place at 9.30am on Wednesday 28 October.
Please take a few minutes to complete this in strictist confidence. Click here for the short survey.
“We look forward to engaging with you comprehensively on the introduction of a DRS scheme.” The Irish Beverage council has issued an open letter to RGDATA members regarding the Government’s plan to introduce a Deposit & Return Scheme for beverage containers. You can read the letter here.
Click here to view the presentation on how to prepare for Brexit on 1st January 2021.
More Articles ...
- Move to Level 5: Government Updates
- RGDATA calls for Town Centre First National Co-ordinating Body
- Mandatory Masks and in-store compliance with Covid-19 Guidelines
- Heritage Minister says he will be rolling out town centre initiatives in coming months
- Tanaiste thanks RGDATA members for “hard work” in delivering essential retail during Covid 19
- Deadline for Section 22 Structural Separation 12 November
- RGDATA calls for more supports for retailers to deal with anti-mask abuse
- What is the impact of Covid-19 on your store? RGDATA Member Survey
- RGDATA Shop Insurance Costs Campaign Update
- Tanaiste says Government is "examining" Occupiers Liability Act: