The Retail Grocery Dairy & Allied Trades Association - RGDATA - is the representative association for the owners of over 4,000 independent family owned grocery shops, convenience stores, forecourt stores and supermarkets in Ireland.
RGDATA is the longest established trade association representing the independent grocery sector for over 70 years.
RGDATA's mision is to represent the interests of the independent grocery sector, provide advice and support for independent family grocers and to assist our members in providing a high standard of local community retailing.
Activities:RGDATA activities and member services include:
Representing the interests of independent, family owned shops to Government, media, regulators and policymakers by:
- Monitoring legislation that might impact on the members
- Making submissions to Government and policymakers
- Providing HR and business advice and support to members via a Helpline and members' web site
- Producing email, web and print communications for members
- Offering planning support and seeking to ensure sustainable retail development in line with the Retail Planning Guidelines
- Producing research and reports to support our goals
RGDATA is an associate member of:
- European Federation of Independent Retailers (UGAL)
and a member of:
- The Irish Business and Employers'Confederation (IBEC)
RGDATA represents Independent Retailers at:
- Retail Consultation Forum
- High Level Group on Better Regulation
- National Payments Plan Steering Committee
- National Cash Forum
- Hidden Economy Monitoring Group
- Retail HR Group (IBEC)
- Retail Forum (Food Safety Authority of Ireland)
- Working Card Payments Group
Structure & Organisation:
RGDATA is a member supported association with an office in Blackrock, Co. Dublin. The association is led by a board of directors that includes independnt retailers representing all interests in the independent retail trade.
Our HistoryRGDATA WAS formed in 1942 and is the longest established retail trade association representing 4,000 independent, family owned grocery stores, convenience stores and supermarkets. RGDATA provides practical assistance and support for independent family grocers through our Helpline, members’ only section on www,rgdata.ie, RGDATA News e-zine and the RGDATA Annual magazine. Our key aim is to provide a strong representative voice for family owned grocery shops, convenience stores and supermarkets.
Among RGDATA’s many achievements are:
- RGDATA secured an amendment to the Consumer & Competition Bill 2014 to stop new compliance rules, training and costs for grocery goods undertakings with a turnover in excess of €50 million being imposed on EVERY symbol group store.
- Secured commitment from Government for Retention of the 6% National Lottery Retail Agent's margin prior to 2014 sale of National Lottery licence.
- 2014 Sale of Nicotine Replacement products permitted in grocery/convenience stores for first time following long campaign.
- 'Nightmare on Every Street' RGDATA car parking report leads to reforms of car parking schemes.
- RGDATA Local Heroes Research published 2012 highlighting how local shops provide 90,000 jobs and €1 spent in a local shop is worth €4 to the local community.
- Retail Planning Guidelines, 2001
- Planning Directive for Superstores 1998
- Groceries Order 1987
- Ban on Below Cost Selling Advertising, 1981
- Planning Directive 1982
- Casual Trading Act 1980
Director General: Tara Buckley
As Director General of RGDATA, Tara Buckley is responsible for representing independent retailers' interests to government, politicians and the media and for providing member support services. Tara is a member of the Government's High Level Group on Better Regulation; the National Payments Plan Steering Committee at the Central Bank and the Garda National Retail Forum.
Colin Fee, Mace, Blackrock, Dundalk, Co. Louth
Eamonn Gavin, Centra, Ballinagh, Co. Cavan
Sean Quish, Quish's SuperValu, Ballincollig, Co. Cork
Ray Ryan, Ryan's Raheen Foodstore, Raheen, Co. Limerick
Ann Timothy, Timothy's Londis Plus, Abbeytown, Co. Roscommon
Joe Doyle, Donnybrook Fair, Co. Dublin
Louis Byrne, Spar Oak Hill, Tralee, Co. Kerry
John Foy, SuperValu, Cootehill, Co. Cavan.
RGDATA COMMUNICATIONS - ANNUAL MAGAZINE, EZINE, VIDEO BLOG AND MORE!
Every two weeks RGDATA NEWS, an electronic newsletter is sent directly to members' inboxes with short, snappy news items about RGDATA activity and essential information regarding the retail grocery sector. RGDATA NEWS is also available on the member's only RGDATA website which is constantly updated with new information and downloadable articles, checklists and draft forms and policy documents to assist members in running their businesses.
The RGDATA ANNUAL is the official RGDATA member's publication. Essential reading for independent shop owners, the RGDATA ANNUAL is published in early November every year and provides all the key information, regulatory updates and insider information on running a successful retail grocery business. The RGDATA ANNUAL is an ideal platform for any company that wants to communicate with RGDATA members that represent a third of the retail grocery sector in Ireland.
The RGDATA VIDEO BLOG is a monthly video delivered to members via the RGDATA APP and RGDATA NEWS. It contains tips from industry experts and retailers on running a successfull store.
RGDATA also runs TRAINING INITIATIVES with retailers, providing essential and practical training on a range of different aspects of running a successful independent family store.
Whether it's information, a friendly ear or tailored advice for a tricky situation, RGDATA's 24/7 Support Service is always there for retailers.
Our helpline staff have over 20 years experience in the grocery retail sector – there is no problem that they can't offer support or provide helpful advice on. The helpline is open Monday-Friday from 9am to 5pm. Call us today on 01 283 4188
- Donegal native Carmel has been working on the RGDATA Helpline for 15 years. Carmel loves problem solving and easing the stress of retailers. She has a wealth of expertise on all aspects of running a shop. Carmel specialises in employment law and planning issues.
- Accounting wizz Sheila has been a valued member of the RGDATA Helpine for 10 years. She specialises in employment law and financial planning. She believes all retailers should have policies and proceedures in place and follow these to the letter.